Sunday, July 19, 2026

Singin' in the Rain-Revisit (Paramount Summer Classic Film Series)

 


This is the last full film I saw at the Paramount Theater before it closed.  For the next 11 months it's going to undergo renovation and hopefully be restored to even greater Beauty. It's hard to imagine a more fitting closure then seeing the greatest musical of all time one more time on the big screen.

I love singing in the rain, I can't understand people who don't like musicals, and I'm especially suspicious of anybody who doesn't love this musical. This film has everything, is in hysterical comedy, with terrific dancing and singing numbers, set in the Golden Age of Hollywood, dealing with some of the real problems that came with the Advent of sound, and it stars the great Gene Kelly.

There are so many iconic numbers in this film, that I'm not sure I could get to the mall and it doesn't paragraphs. So I'll just remind everybody the gene Kelly's dancing in the rain, will probably the most visually iconic, is certainly not the only memorable musical sequence in the film. Donald O'Connor steals the movie for 5 minutes with his routine make him laugh. Debbie Reynolds, takes the lead on good morning, and  Cyd Charice doesn't sing she just dances like an angel Moving On A Cloud along with her partner Gene Kelly. 

Of course the biggest thief in the film is Jean Hagen, who plays the movie star with a voice to die for, I'm sorry I meant to voice to die from. Silent screen Stars sometimes didn't make the transition to the talkies for a reason. Instead of making this a tragedy however, Gene Kelly and co-director Stanley donen turn this into a farce. And what a lovely time we all get to have as a result. 

Good luck and for a short time farewell to the Paramount Theater, You Are My Lucky Star.


No comments: